Tuesday 15 October 2013

Human


So, after getting into the best shape of my life, and with just a few days to go to the British finals I woke up to find this. It's yet another hernia, this time right between the two biggest operation scars on my stomach where the stomach wall is just a mass of scar tissue. My doctor, Imran, is a friend and has been very supportive throughout my career, in return I've helped him with his diet and exercise, yes really, I advise Doctors too! He asked me to stop training and forget about competing and to go into hospital straight away to get it fixed, but he smiled when I told him that pain is just weakness leaving the body and it would take a lot more than a mere hernia to make me stop now. He has recommended a few things which I will do up until show time to reduce the swelling but clearly this will make it very difficult to get a decent result now.  It would be very easy to get despondent or even give up but I won't do either of those things, the sign of a true champion is not how they respond to victory but how they respond to adversity, this setback merely proves that I am human after all, it means nothing more than that.